Sunday, April 18, 2010

Ever drive your car too fast? I have.

I've been on I-95 around 3:00 in the morning, and with no one else around, there's no reason not to step on the gas. So you're accelerating, and the higher the needle climbs, the more your car--if you drive a crappy car, that is--shakes, strains and vibrates.

And then you hit 100 and it's like you're driving on a cloud.

That's about where I am right now. It's 9:03 on Sunday night, and finals start tomorrow; in six days I'll be strolling across the stage at graduation.

I've been fielding phone calls from family wondering what our plans are, what we're doing, where we're going; I've been trying to make sure that I have time off of work; I've pretty much given up and said "fuck it."

Whatever happens, happens. I know I have to work on Tuesday night, I know I'm pulling a double on Wednesday, and I know I'm scheduled for Thursday night, but I know I'm getting out of it.

I know there's a party on Thursday, rehearsal on Friday, the ceremony at dawn on Saturday.

I know enough to know that I have no idea what is going on. For me, that's enough. I have plenty to worry about, like the fact that I still haven't gotten cleared with the business office (as I owe my $100 graduation fee) (and a $25 parking ticket) (and I have fifty cents in my checking account).

I just need to get through this week without something horrific happening, like sleeping through an exam or getting hit by a bus or falling over, dead from a stroke.

Six more days.

No comments:

Post a Comment